I think its pretty sad how much stuff we are discovering is so close to our house, and we are just now exploring. I think our years before kids we pretty much spent the weekend working on house stuff...from putting in deck, landscaping, etc, etc. Regardless, I think we should have spent more time exploring the beautiful areas around us. Well there is no time like the present, so here we go again!
We travelled this weekend to Belle Isle, which is a small island just outside of Detroit. It is approximately 5 miles in diameter. The island has lots of fun & free stuff to explore. We managed to check out the "Zoo", Kid's Play Area, the Aquarium, and the Conservatory.
I say "Zoo" in quotes since the only animals we saw were squirles eating at the bird feeders, and turtles. They also had a "lovely" exhibit of animal poop examples, which I of course took a picture of.
The kids play area was fun, and included a "bumpy" slide. I haven't seen one of these at a park in so long.
We also walked through the aquarium, which is the oldest aquarium in North America. However, the most impressive builds of all was the Conservatory. It was modeled after Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, and includes 5 different sections; The Palm House, Tropical House, Showroom, Cactus House, and the Fernery. Check out the link above under "Belle Isle" and click on "Explore the Park" for more pictures!


No comments:
Post a Comment