Listening to all my friends, and the different pregnancy experiences, I have always wondered if Not having any complications was more abnormal, and it was actually more normally to have some level of issue. My first two pregnancies were pretty much completely without complication all the way to the 5 pushes and the baby was out. With Tyler, my doctor literally had enough time to put on his gloves, and catch the little guy. With both kids all my test results were normal, and the epidural was amazing.
I don't want to say I took these wonderful pregnancies for granted, but I didn't expect anything different with baby #3. It looks like #3 is in fact going to be a little big more complicated. I have recently found out that I have developed prenatal Thrombocytopenia, or low platelet levels, which I guess is common in about 3-5% of pregnancies. Normal levels are in the range between 150-450 (x1000). At 28 wks my levels measured 129, and then at 124 at 32 week. I initially thought it was good news they hadn't dropped much, but in fact the follow up blood work really confirmed I did have the condition, and it was still dropping. I am now visiting the doctor two times a week for non-stress tests (track the baby's heart rate & my contracts for 20 minutes). In addition, I have been informed if my levels drop below 100, I will not be allowed to get an epidural. The real concern is keep the levels above 40-50, when you could have clotting issues, and bleed out. It really put things in perspective when my doctor stated I was really in the "high risk" pregnancy group now.
Plus he noted I should start planning now for the little guy to need to be induced at least two weeks early. I never really understood why women got upset when their "birth plan" got changed, but now I have a much better appreciation. I was looking forward to a similar experience with Tyler of laboring at home, and heading to the hospital to have the baby born painlessly only 5+ hours later. I am glad my doctor gave me the heads up now, as its been nice to really have time to think about the fact its whatever is best for the baby, and getting the little guy out as safely as possible.
The only positive to this new issue is the fact I will now get a 36 week ultrasound, with another glimpse at the little guy. Plus since I am heading to the doctor everything Monday & Thursday I get extra sleep & time to get everyone ready those mornings.
Here are a few belly pictures!

How can you stand them touching your belly button? Ew! That gives me the heebie jeebies!
ReplyDelete